Our Sport Premium allocation for the school year 2017-18 is £9,145.
Summary of spending (2016-17):
- Karate coaching: £4,000 subsidy towards cost
- Gymnastics coaching: £5,160 subsidy towards cost
- Total budget: £9,160
As a result of this spending:
- Karate gives all Y4-6 children the opportunity to develop focus, resilience and skill in a demanding sport that would be hard for them to access otherwise. These attributes all tie in with our Golden Rules of respect (something really instilled by the two experienced sensais), trying your best (as they work towards the different levels of belts) and listening carefully to others. We are unique in this area for giving children this opportunity.
- Gymnastics for EYFS-KS2 has given all the children access to skilled teaching that exceeds the level of most primary school teachers and is expensive to access out of school, thus limiting opportunity. Last year, the gymnastics team took part in a local competition against other schools and clubs in the area as a result of the after-school club that helped to develop of those who were really keen to develop their skills outside of the lesson time.
- Both activities are thoroughly enjoyed by the children and increases their sense of well-being.
- Recently this year, we have been able to provide street dance as an opportunity (both in lesson time as an after-school club), a high-impact activity that has really caught the imagination of the children and engaged them with a very different PE experience.